Citizenship and Language Scores

Do I have to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to enrol in the Graduate Diploma in Immigration and Citizenship Law?
No; the program is open to applicants of all nationalities regardless of Canadian residency or citizenship status. Please be aware, however, that you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to write the Entry-to-Practice (EPE) exam to become a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.

Are there any internet based English language tests available?

IELTS Indicator (Academic, internet-based)

TOEFLiBT Internet-based test

What are the exemptions for English language testing?

1.  English is your native language; or

2.  Within the 12 month period prior to the month of application, you have studied for at least two academic terms at a post-secondary institution where English is the official language of instruction. Proof will be required that it has not been more than one year since you were a student at the post-secondary institution and also that English is the language of instruction there. Acceptable proof of this is the original, official transcript, received from the issuing post-secondary institution or uploaded as part of the application for admission.

Those applicants who do not meet one of the requirements listed above, will be required to obtain satisfactory standing in an English Language Proficiency Test as part of the application process.

Can I submit English-language testing results older than 24 months with my application to the GDipICL?
Test results must be from within 24 months of the date you apply to the program. Please see our Apply page for details on English-language proficiency tests.

Program Length and Term Information

When are courses offered?

Beginning in January 2021, courses will be offered in the winter term (January - April) and the fall term (September - December).  There are currently no spring/summer course offerings.

If I am unable to register for January 2021 when is the next intake?

The next intake for the Graduate Diploma will be for September 2021.  The deadline to receive all official documents and applications is June 14, 2021.

What is the difference between part-time and full-time?

Full-time students will have 12 months (2 consecutive terms) to complete all program requirements.  Part-time students will have up to 24 months (4 consecutive terms) to complete all program requirements.  Admission and fees, deadlines are the same for both study options.  

Entry-to-Practice (EPE) Exam Eligibility

Does completing the Graduate Diploma ensure that I can write the national Entry-to-Practice exam and become a regulated immigration consultant?
Entry into and completion of the Graduate Diploma does not waive any requirements for the EPE exam that differ from admission requirements for this program, including but not limited to:

-       Only Canadian citizens and permanent residents may write the exam.
-       English-language requirements for the exam are higher than those required for the graduate diploma. Please see the language note on our Apply page for details.

For detailed information on EPE exam requirements, please review the Entry-to-Practice Exam Application Form.


Is this program eligible for provincial tuition support in the form of student loans (eg. OSAP) or grants?
No. Financial support is available through the RBC Royal Credit Line for Professional Studies as a line of credit with preferential pricing for domestic students who want to finance all or part of their studies. Please see our Tuition and Financing page.

Bursaries and scholarships will also be available to a limited number of students. For more information please visit our Tuition and Financing page.

Admissions GPA and Transfer Credits

What are the GPA equivalents of the letter degrees used for program admissions? 
For admissions, the GDipICL uses the same grade conversion table found at the Queen’s University Registrar’s Office.

Number grades are not used in the GDipICL program.

What are the required documents for GPA assessment?

Applicants must submit official transcripts from the institution in which the degree was completed.  

Immigration Consulting as a Career

As a result of COVID-19, travel restrictions and border closures are expected to reduce Canada’s immigration intake. Is immigration consulting still a viable career path? 
Yes, immigration consulting is still a very viable career path. While projections for the coming year have been lowered, the Canadian government remains committed to its immigration agenda. There is little doubt that once the pandemic fades, immigration to this country will remain robust. 

Keeping Informed

How can I receive information and announcements regarding the Graduate Diploma?
If you would like to receive communications from the Graduate Diploma in Immigration and Citizenship Law regarding courses, schedules and important dates please sign up here.